A critically important role of testosterone is to enable HDL to remove excess cholesterol from the arterial wall and transport it to the liver for disposal. This effect of enhancing HDL is termed “reverse cholesterol transport” and is vital to preventing arterial occlusion.
Testosterone levels are high in young men, but plummet during aging.
Cells throughout a man’s body are laden with receptor sites that are activated by the hormone testosterone. When testosterone is available to bind to these receptor sites, good things happen such as elevated mood and improved cognition in response to plentiful testosterone being available to the brain. Be it muscle, bone, vascular, or nerve tissue, testosterone provides critical command signals for your cells to behave in a youthful manner.8,26-33 As testosterone levels diminish, degenerative processes set in. Data was tabulated based on hospital reports and/or death certificates for heart attack, stroke, unstable angina, bypass surgery, or stenting.
The four quartiles of total testosterone in this large group of older men were:
- Quartile 1: Total testosterone below 340 ng/dL.
- Quartile 2: Total testosterone be-tween 341-438ng/dL.
- Quartile 3: Total testosterone be-tween 439-549 ng/dL.
- Quartile 4: Total testosterone above 550 ng/dL.
- Testosterone elevates the hepatic lipase enzyme that the liver needs to safely clear the body of excess cholesterol.
- The liver contains a receptor called scavenger receptor B1 that acts to stimulate cholesterol uptake for processing and disposal. Testosterone beneficially increases scavenger receptor B1.
- Furthermore, a liver enzyme called hepatic lipase functions to remove phospholipids from the surface of HDL and helps enhance the uptake of these HDL-derived lipids by scavenger receptor B1.
- Testosterone increases the activity of hepatic lipase.10
- By increasing both scavenger receptor B1 and hepatic lipase activities, testosterone facilitates an increase in reverse cholesterol transport, a process that removes excess cholesterol from the tissues and carries it to the liver for processing and disposal.
Come in today to have your testosterone level checked with a simple blood test and receive testesterone replacement for energy, focus, sexual vatality, losing fat, building muscle, avoiding osteoporosis and preventing a heart attack.